2nd October, 2013.
NOTICE TO MEMBERS
Directors of Nursing & Assistant Directors of Nursing (Working in Acute Hospitals), Advance Nurse Practitioners, and Clinical Nurse Specialists in your Hospital, INMO Member Reps Working in Acute Hospitals
Re: Industrial action notified by the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO)
Further to my previous notification regarding industrial action notified by the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO), it has now been confirmed that discussions which were held with the assistance of the Labour Relations Commission, regarding the Junior Doctors hours of work, have not resulted in a resolution to this matter.
Therefore, the IMO have notified the HSE that they intend to proceed with industrial action as previously notified on Tuesday 8th October, from 7.00am to 7.00pm.
I would be grateful if you could continue to observe the advice of your Union in respect of normal Trade Union practices during a dispute.
I set out below the previous notified advice and would request that you continue to adhere to it.
The IMO have confirmed that the level of cover available for the duration of the industrial action will be:
- The current Sunday On-Call cover plus an On-Call ICU Registrar, per Intensive Care Unit;
- The services that will be provided will be those that currently exist on a Sunday On-Call cover inclusive of support for any required Transplant and Dialysis Service for Patients;
- attendance for Patients who are undergoing active Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy which cannot be deferred and;
- Normal weekend Palliative Care will be provided.
The IMO have requested that in accordance with normal trade union practices that other workers would not step in and take over the roles of those that are in dispute. At an INMO Executive Council meeting on 17.09.13, the Executive Council of the Irish Nurses & Midwives Organisation confirmed that we will adhere to normal industrial relations practice and advise our members that:
- They should work as normal; and
- They are not to take up the duties of those in dispute inclusive of expansion to their role or expansion to the remit of their service.
I trust this is clear and if you require any further clarification/explanation, please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned or any of our Industrial Relations Officers.
PHIL Ni SHEAGHDHA,
Director of Industrial Relations.